In general learning history is an exercise in examining and understanding the actions and beliefs of past peoples. Learning about Canadian history is no different and there are many things to learn about the history of settlers in Canada, as well as the lives of indigenous peoples. One of the most important things to remember when examining History, particularly in many of the contexts surrounding North American settlement, is understanding and recognizing biases in the documents that you read. This, to me, is one of the most important takeaways from History 1120, and this idea has helped my in my other courses as well. When reading historical documents, both primary and secondary sources, it is paramount to understand the possible biases of the writer, and to try to ignore or in some cases use that bias in your own analysis. This is particularly clear when reading about the interactions between settlers and indigenous peoples, as much of the written information we have is from the White, European Settler perspective, and the beliefs and ideas of indigenous peoples can be hard to discern. The idea of understanding the perspective of the author was also very helpful to me in philosophy, as being able to view an idea from the view of people in the past helps to let you understand the often confusing concepts that philosophers discuss.